Logo

Logo

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Good Fashion Reads

On a rainy day like today, or better yet the beach (summer is on the way!) it is nice to have a good read to relax with and pass the time away. Today I am going to be offering suggestions for good fashion reads, most of which are on my bookshelf, which is about ready to fall over... what can I say that is what I get for buying the cheap bookcase.

My first recommendation would be Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor in chief. This biography by Jerry Oppenheimer tells the life story of Nuclear Wintour as some call her. From her careless youth in London to her move to NYC, this is a great account of Anna's life and ascent to editor of the fashion bible.

For thos of you who are interested in street style, I recommend that you give Scott Schuman's book The Sartorialist a look. For those of you are are thinking, "Who is Scott Schuman?" you might want to check out his photo blog. He captures great street style shots from around the globe from models to mortals. Here is a link to his blog.

The next duo of authors are Mary Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen. Their book Influence tells the story of their inspiration for their fashion lines. It is a great coffee table book and shows that these girls have come so far from Walmart glitter eye shadow (I will be the first to admit that I had multiple cosmetic products from their line as I was too old for the clothes). They have great interviews with fashion industry heavy hitters such as Kaiser Karl Lagerfeld and DVF. The pictures are great as well.

Another great book if you are interested in street style is Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style . I really enjoy this photo book and all the faces and places that are encountered such as New York, London, and Paris. As far as I know a new edition has been released but I have not purchased it yet but probably will in the future as street style is such a huge inspiration to me and my personal style choices.

If you ever watched the show Kell on Earth on Bravo, you know that People's Revolution tycoon Kelly Cutrone is very ehh honest... to say the least. Her book If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You is a look inside her fast paced lifestyle as one of the most famous fashion publicists of our time. Although she lives a rather normal life now, she had quite a few trials and tribulations in the past. She is releasing a new book on May 3rd called Normal Gets You Nowhere, pre-order it here.

I hope you get a chance to check out at least one of these books! I have linked them all to websites where they can be purchased. If you are on a budget don't forget about the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment