Logo

Logo

Monday, August 15, 2011

Two coins united

For those of you who do not know, my mother passed away in May of 2009 from ovarian cancer. She was my best friend and I miss her every minute of every day. One of her most prized possessions was a coin pendant. The coin was made from a silver bar that was recovered from a shipwreck. The ship’s name was the Atocha. The Atocha was a Spanish galleon that sank near the Florida keys in 1622.

I wear my mother’s pendant often and had been thinking about getting one to match for a while now. This past weekend I was in Ocean City, Maryland and made a trip to the store where she purchased her coin. They had about seven of them and got to speak to one of the men who dives at the sight of the wreck. He told me that in a few years the silver bars will be gone, so I felt that I should get one before it would become an eternal regret.

The coin I purchased was $90. I am not sure what my mom paid for her coin, but I couldn’t really put a price on the sentimental value it holds. Below you can see the two of them together. My mother was a lover of the sea and all things nautical (lighthouses, seahorses, sailboats). I dedicate this post to her and all our happy memories spent in Ocean City, Maryland.
IMG_1322
The coin on the left is mine. The one on the right was my mother’s.

2 comments:

  1. bridget!... this post made me cry. i am so happy you bought the coin... your right, the sentiment of the purchase is priceless<3 your mommy lives on in you everyday. i know she is proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete