Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Care and Cleaning of Your Clothes

In my last post I gave you some tips for the spring cleaning of your closet. After you take care of the purging and organizing, take a step back to think about how you treat your clothes. As silly as it may sound, clothes need TLC too! If you are willing to spend money on them, treat them right!

1. If you, like me, wear a lot of darker clothing, consider picking up a bottle of Woolite Extra Dark Care detergent. Is it kind of pricey? Yes. Does it work? Yes. If you use this product along with cold water and a clothes drying rack, your dark clothing will thank you. This is especially good for jeans!

2. Speaking of drying racks… Do you have one? If not, you should. Check out this Whitmor Drying Rack from Target. A small investment now can mean big savings later on your electric bill as many of us don’t hesitate to throw our clothes into the dryer creating multiple loads and lots of energy usage.

3. Once you buy your drying rack there are some items that should never be put into the dryer again. These include: bras, dress shirts, tights/leggings/pantyhose, bathing suits, and skirts/dresses. I could add even more due to the fact that I barely put anything into the dryer.

4. When washing your clothes make sure that all zippers are zipped! If you wash bras in a washing machine (try to convert to  hand wash) make sure their clasps are hooked as well. This will ultimately prevent snagging.

5. Consider buying a small bucket/container to hand wash clothes in. Many detergent companies make special formulas for this reason. This process is great for bras, lingerie, hosiery, and anything that says “handwash” on its tag.

Hope these tips improve the lifetime of your wardrobe!

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!
    my website: see kai run shoes

    ReplyDelete