Friday, May 4, 2012

FAQ: Other People's Trash Edition

I have been asked a lot of questions about various aspects of my wardrobe throughout the years, so I figured I would answer some of them here for those of you who are curious.

1. How do you have so many clothes?

I will be honest, I probably do buy more clothes than the average person, BUT I take very good care of the clothing I already have. I hardly put anything in the dryer and I use special Woolite detergent for dark clothing. I recently donated a tank top from 2006 that looked like new, it was just dated and part of my old sense of style.

2. How do you find such great vintage clothes?

Finding the clothes that I (sometimes) do is a lot of work. I usually tend to go thrifting on a day where I am very bored and have a lot of free time. You must comb each rack for possible options and don't give up hope. A quick method that I use is to look at each rack for prints and/or colors that stick out to you. What jumps out at me? SEQUINS.

3. Where do you keep all your clothes?

I am lucky enough to live in an apartment where my boyfriend and I each have two closets. They aren't walk-ins but they are very large with a bar and shelves for storage.

4. Do you spend a lot of money on designer clothing?

For the most part, no. When you open my closet you don't see a long list of desinger labels. I do have some, but very few. I get a lot of my clothing from thrift stores and H&M. Most of my shoes come from gojane. I get a lot of my purses from thrift stores as well. I am all about getting a good deal. I could care less if you paid full price for something and I got 50% off.

5. Do you spend a lot on personal care? (i.e. hair, makeup, nails, etc.)

Not really. I get my hair dyed and cut every three months or so. I rarely get a manicure and have had one pedicure in my life. I am pretty good at doing my own nails so that is just what I do. I am willing to spend on makeup just because I feel that a quality product shows through in your appearance. Before you splurge on expensive makeup you should take a look at your brushes. Would Picasso paint a masterpiece with your brushes that cost $2.00 each? Probably not. I recommend MAC brushes.

6. I would never think to wear that, how do you do it?

I hear this all the time. Maybe it started with my Barbies or maybe with my own clothes, but I have always thought outside the box when it comes to dressing. My advice if you are looking for a way to make an outfit better? Start with accessories. Need an example? Think about that dress you just bought at (insert any fast fashion store here). Did it comes with a drawstring belt to cinch your waist? It most likely did and I am going to tell you to throw it out (or keep it with you other belts). Take a look at you belt inventory and say, "What else works for this dress?" I guarantee there is something better than a string.

7. Do you like to shop alone or with others?

There are very few people (I can count them on one hand) that I like shopping with and that is just the way it is. When you are alone you can browse all you want on your own time frame. I am a stylist so I really don't need an opinion about cut or fit.

8. Where do you find your inspiration?

Everywhere. My favorite places to become inspired are street style blogs. I like to see what the "real" people are wearing.

9. What are your favorite fashion magazines?

This is a tough question. I have a lot of subscriptions (I used to get a teacher discount when I was teaching) but I would have to say my favorite "mainstream" magazine is Lucky. I also like artsy magazines with lots of editorials so from those I would say I like Zink the best.

10. Do you ever worry about what people are thinking (about what you are wearing)?

Not really. I usually have an overwhelming positive response to what I wear and anyone else can just look the other way if they don't like it.

Do you have more questions? Ask them below!

3 comments:

  1. i agree with you girl, i can go shopping alone and fit every outfit that i love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just been looking around your blog and I love your style! I would love it if you could come and look at my blog and maybe we could follow each other on GFC, Bloglovin and Facebook! Xx

    www.rachelsfashionpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Q&A! Thnx for your comment and for following on gfc, I am following you back! Let me know when you follow me on bloglovin so I can follow there too!

    xoxo

    http://www.lolitainthemix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete