Logo

Logo

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lesser-Known Fashionable Women in Film

We all love Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's and we lust over every outfit worn by SJP in Sex and the City. For decades there have been men and women in films that have made a mark on fashion history but       there are even more lesser-known characters that are just as chic, yet not as popular within the realms of pop culture. Below I will list my favorites which hopefully inspire you to take some risks with your outfits and see some good films.

Sex Lies and Videotape

One of the most important independent films of the late 1980s, Sex Lies and Videotape is filled with characters that are entangled in a web of, well, the title speaks volumes for itself. My favorite character is Cynthia, portrayed by Laura San Giacomo. She provides the film with a vibrant energy and her outfits make her character all the more sexual. This film is a must see.



A Streetcar Named Desire

During a college lit class I was required to read Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire. It took me about an hour to read and I was instantly hooked. My professor showed us the film of the same name and I fell in love with the characters and the sultry feel of New Orleans. Blanche, played by Vivien Leigh,  is a lost, yet stylish, soul.



Martha Marcy May Marlene 

In this chilling, psychological thriller Elizabeth Olsen portrays Martha, a young girl mentally trapped by her allegiance to a poly-amorous cult in upstate New York. While not fashionable in a typical manner, Martha has a natural style which lends to the mainly outdoor setting of the film.



Young Adult

There are few characters I can relate to like Charlize Theron as Mavis Gary in Young Adult. Another unconventional fashionista, Mavis is a young adult struggling to get her life together but looking her best while doing so in her small hometown. One of my favorite scenes is when she goes to a local mall, inquiring about Marc Jacobs, only to receive a puzzled look by the sales clerk. Her constant mani/pedis and intense makeup routine make her all the more lovable.



The Ice Storm

A retro 1970s wardrobe makes The Ice Storm a hotbed of fashion inspiration. My personal favorite is Sigourney Weaver's character of Janey Carver. Janey is wealthy, moody, and stylish. Aside from her wardrobe, the entire cast's clothing provides a look inside an important decade of fashion history.



Who did I forget? Tell me below!

2 comments:

  1. love the idea, thanks for the new movies on my to watch list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh thanks for sharing! I should check these movies out!

    X Jenny
    Rocknrollerr.com

    Win a pair of velvet leggings on my blog:
    http://www.rocknrollerr.com/2013/01/give-away-black-velvet-leggings.html

    ReplyDelete