Logo

Logo

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fashionable Read: Lolita

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta."

If you have never read Vladimir Nabokov's masterpiece then now is the time.  It is not an easy read by any means but the language in it is just plain beautiful.  Dolores a.k.a. Lolita is the (very young) love interest of a  writer named Humbert who is staying at the home of Lolita's mother.  So yes, the story does deal with pedophilia and is really taboo but it is done in a really romantic way that makes you forget about the ages of the characters. Some of my favorite quotes are listed below:

“It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.” 

“Human life is but a series of footnotes to a vast obscure unfinished masterpiece” 

“And she was mine, she was mine, the key was in my fist, my fist was in my pocket, she was mine.” 

“I knew I had fallen in love with Lolita forever; but I also knew she would not be forever Lolita.” 

So how is Lolita a fashionable read? Well, all it took was a film by Stanley Kubrick and some heart-shaped sunglasses to form an iconic image that will forever be associated with the character. 



Photo from Wikipedia

Lolita was set in the 1950s so the general fashions in the film are very feminine and retro. 


Photo from Vogue Italia

Sue Lyon (above) was 14 when she was chosen to play Lolita. Her high waisted bikini bottoms are a sign of the times and have been a comeback look over the past few years.  


Photo from Polyvore

I am loving the starfish brooch that is attached to her dress, this is definitely a good way to give an old dress new meaning. 



Have you seen Lolita? If not, who are some of your favorite fashionable characters from literature? 

1 comment:

  1. This is a book I've always wanted to read but never got round too. I always think Valley of the dolls seems to be cool, I can imagine all the characters being incredibly glamorous

    Please come and check out my latest post if you have a few minutes spare :)

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    X

    ReplyDelete