Logo

Logo

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Vintage Vantage Point: Why Most Women Secretly Want to be Holly Golightly

There is a high positive correlation between people who love fashion and people who love Breakfast at Tiffany's. Actually, there is a high positive correlation between women in general and women who love Breakfast at Tiffany's. Personally, I love the movie even if it is a bit cliche. What I love even more is the character of Holly Golightly, brought to paper by Truman Capote and brought to life by Audrey Hepburn. An icon in both the literary and cultural world, Holly Golightly is someone many women aspire to be like, act like, or even look like. I am a big fan of lists so here are my top five reasons why women secretly want to be Holly Golightly. Even if you do not agree with all five you can probably find at least one reason. 

1. The Apartment- Holly's apartment is often in a chaotic state but this makes it all the more covetable. I don't care what anyone says, you have thought about what it would be like to have a bathtub couch with a purple cushion and pink pillows. Oh and a zebra rug wouldn't be so bad either.  




2. New York- The city is Holly's playground. She goes out at night, hosts parties at her apartment, then ends up in front of Tiffany's at 5:00 a.m. with a croissant and some coffee. She said it best, "Oh I love New York."


Photo credit: The New York Times



3. The Parties- The party scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of the most memorable in film history. Each person within the scene makes it unique and fun to watch. It is nice to see people dressed up for a party, men and women alike.


4. Carefree Attitude- Holly Golightly possesses the ultimate no fear attitude. She stays up late, wakes up late, and often does not know what day it is. I am not saying it is the most professional way to live but I think anyone could get used to a lifestyle like this even if only for a short while.


Photo credit: Paris Boutique Hotel 

5. (Most Importantly) The Clothes- Holly Golightly spends a lot of times flouncing around in creations by Hubert de Givenchy. The wardrobe from the film is enough to keep you inspired for hours and makes you want to start wearing a tiara. 


Photo credit: Va-Voom Vintage


Photo credit: Literate and Stylish

My Personal Favorite
Photo credit: L'hedonista

Check out two older posts of mine based on Breakfast at Tiffany's. This post focuses on a recreation of my favorite "pink look" from the film. This post is of a mood board I had to create as part of my fashion styling certification from the American College of Professional Styling. I was given the task of creating a modern day look for Holly Golightly.

Do you love Holly Golightly? Tell me why below! 

Remember to follow me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. All so true! I think a lot of women are attracted to her bold freedom. Even though I don't want to be her, Holly makes me want to be more of myself. I think the movie leads you to question whether or not you're missing out on some better expression of yourself.

    ReplyDelete