Logo

Logo

Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Reflection on Selling Vintage Clothing

I am not sure when I decided to start selling vintage clothing. I believe it may have been after someone told me their daughter's friend was making bank on Ebay selling pieces to people from all over the world. My closet was shrinking as was my bank account so I decided to give it a shot.

Right now I am using ASOS Marketplace and could not be happier. The site has a great international reach and an outstanding reputation.

Part of the intrigue of selling vintage is the past, present, and future of the clothing. Each piece has a story from its past, a true mystery to me and something that always leaves me guessing. Was this dress worn to a wedding? Was this purse used on a memorable family vacation? Was this necklace given as a gift? These are questions to which I will never know the answers, part of the mystery behind the process.

Once I purchase or inherit the clothing, I am part of their present. I clean them up and prepare them for the next leg of their journey. I have a separate closet for my vintage collection. While they wait to be purchased this is their home. As I look through the rows of colors and prints, I think of all the clothing that is there and all the places that it has come from; if only my closet could talk.

My greatest success with vintage thus far has been with the European market. The funkier the clothes, the faster they sell. My first sale ever was a blazer with giraffes printed all over it. Totally eccentric, yet completely fabulous. After a sale is made I prep the clothing for travel and make a trip to the post office.  Shipping to the E.U. is not cheap by any means but my customers are willing to pay for that perfect piece.

After the package ships, the piece of vintage once again becomes a mystery to me. I know very little about the customer other than their address. My greatest hope is that they enjoy their purchase and continue coming back for more. Once that person outgrows their purchase there is always a chance that the cycle will continue and that is what makes selling vintage a process that knows no boundaries of time or geography.

Check out my shop here!

No comments:

Post a Comment