1. The Children's Section - Not all children are super small. I learned this the one day while walking through a children's aisle in passing. A navy blue blazer was sticking out of the rack and did not look much smaller than my favorite navy blazer that I wear all the time. When examining the piece I realized that it was high quality and made from Italian wool. Price tag? $3.00!!! I tried it on and it was a perfect fit. After dry cleaning I removed the original buttons and replaced them with gold ones for a cool, nautical look. I am not saying that this happens a lot in this section, but I always look regardless.
2. Sleepwear - I have a minor obsession with vintage slips. I think they are cool to wear around the house or even with a cardigan for running errands. I have purchased a lot of these at thrift shops for around $2.00-$3.00 each. One of the best parts is that most are machine washable, keeping the dry cleaning bill low.
3. Home Goods - Fashion-wise this is a great section to score little dishes and bowls for organizing jewelry. You can also find cool mirrors and vanity trays for decor or storage.
4. Checkout Area - There are many times when I was filled with glory over my vintage finds that I completely passed up the cases at the checkout area. These are usually filled with various items such as designer bags or shoes but my favorite find is vintage jewelry! I could go on and on about all the vintage jewelry I have purchased in the past from thrift shops but I won't. Go see for yourself!
5. Men's Accessories - This is a great area to look for belts, suspenders, pocket squares, etc.! You can also find some cool leather briefcases in this area as well. Just like with kids, not all men are giants so you never know what you will find... even in the clothing section!
What are your surprise finds?